Monday, June 22, 2015

Pinkberry

When the weather heats up, I start looking for frozen vegan treats to cool things down. This weekend, my son Zack and I went to Pinkberry so I could check out their new dairy-free Tropical Mango sorbet. Not only is it dairy-free, but it has no added sugar.




I picked the size I wanted (small), and then chose from a variety of toppings. I decided on flaked coconut, strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries. There were other fruit toppings available as well, including pineapple, mango, and kiwi. It was a delicious and very refreshing dessert.




Other frozen yogurt shops offer sorbet as well, but they're not always vegan. I really like berry-flavored sorbets, for example, but in looking at the ingredient listings at some shops, I found that the beautiful red color in those flavors came from the addition of carmine to the sorbet. Carmine is a food dye made from cochineal insects. So not vegan!


I guess I'll just have to stick with non-red sorbets in the future unless I know for sure they don't include insect dye. The Tropical Mango at Pinkberry really hit the spot, so that may be my go-to frozen treat this summer.


Pinkberry is an international franchise, with several locations in the greater Sacramento area. For more information, check out their website at http://www.pinkberry.com/, or their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pinkberry.

No comments: