Monday, February 2, 2015

Dr. Bob's Donuts & DoYos

I don't go to Roseville very often. It's big and spread out, and I'm never quite sure where I am when I'm driving there. But when I heard about Dr. Bob's Donuts & DoYos, I knew a trip to Roseville was in my very near future. Dr. Bob's Donuts are advertised as healthy donuts, containing much less sugar than conventional donuts, and they're steambaked instead of fried. Not only that, but they're vegan.


With that in mind, I programmed my GPS last week and made the drive to Roseville. It was easy to spot Dr. Bob's Donuts from the street -- it was the storefront with the awning that proclaimed "The World's Healthiest Donuts." Inside, an employee was bringing fresh, hot donuts out to the self-serve case, and he showed me the different options available to customize my donut. There were four hot glazes, a few squeeze bottles containing icings to drizzle, a frozen yogurt machine with chocolate, vanilla, and chocolate and vanilla swirl flavors, a fresh fruit bar, a VitaBowl bar with a variety of puddings, yogurts, and a yummy looking chocolate mousse, and a whole section of toppings. Because the donuts contain so much less sugar than the donuts we're used to, they rely on these glazes, sauces, and toppings to make them sweet.


I decided to make myself a DoYo, so I grabbed a bowl and put a chocolate donut in the bottom, then added a helping of chocolate and vanilla swirl frozen yogurt. I poured on some warm chocolate glaze, and topped it off with fresh raspberries, mini chocolate chips, and brown rice puffs. I took it to the cashier, where it was weighed and I paid accordingly. Finally, I sat down and dug in. It was pretty great!




Posters on the wall explain the nutritional value of Dr. Bob's donuts, DoYos, and VitaBowls. All of the ingredients used are organic, gluten-free, and dairy-free, and almost everything is vegan, except for the honey that's available as a topping and the Himalayan Salted Caramel sauce, which contains honey.








Since I had so much fun making my DoYo, I customized a donut to take home with me. Rather than figure out for myself what to add to my donut, I followed the instructions on a sign above the glazes for one of the "Fan Favorites." My Banana Blueberry Bourbon Vanilla consisted of a vanilla donut, bourbon vanilla glaze, organic bananas and blueberries, a chocolate Ultra Sauce drizzle, and flax crunch (the sign called for hemp seeds, but a woman who worked at Dr. Bob's told me she liked the flax crunch even better). Yum!




Dr. Bob's Donuts & DoYos is located at 336 Lincoln Street in Roseville, and their phone number is 916-742-5241. Their website address is http://www.drbobsmix.com/ and their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/DrBobsMix. They are open Tuesday through Saturday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.


8 comments:

Tami@NutmegNotebook said...

Great write up! I live in Roseville so I get to go here frequently and it's always delicious. They also sell kits for making the donuts at home so I bought one of those. They turn out perfect every time!

Since going plant based I have really enjoyed your vegan restaurant reviews. Thanks for all the time you take to keep the reviews coming!

Pam said...

Thanks, Tami! I'm so glad this blog is helpful to you. I saw the donut-making kits while I was at Dr. Bob's, but didn't buy one. It's good to know that they worked so well for you.

Peggy said...

Just found you from Sac Bee article 2/1/2015. I'm fairly new to the area, so your blog is very helpful. I'm in Roseville and would love you to spend more time here. You likely know of Baagan on Pleasant Grove - great vegan place. But, if not, come on by and help get the word out!

Pam said...

Happy to know you're finding the blog useful, Peggy! I'm sure I'll be spending more time in Roseville as I'm running out of restaurants to blog about in Sacramento. You're right about Baagan -- it has wonderful food! I should stop by there again soon.

Steve Oliver said...

I finally got to try a Dr. Bob's donut yesterday. Of course it was delicious with all the various toppings. I was surprised was how moist it was. And no sugar crash later on! Thanks for posting this review.

Pam said...

So glad you liked it, Steve! Thanks for letting me know.

Unknown said...

Referring to this microwaved cake as a donut ruined the experience completely. Our family started making better food choices 4 years ago and it's been great though a few things we crave still are rare treats, like donuts. On paper Dr Bob's is awesome...a healthy donut. Reality though proves it to be fiction. It's not a donut. They call it steamed but they need to be upfront while standing around in medical scrubs while explaining how awesome their donut and doyo bar is..... it's a healthy option of the microwaved mug cake. They even sell them as a mix along with the microwave trays. Guess mini vegan bundt cakes won't get people in the door like donuts. We were looking for a healthy donut, as advertised but found wet microwave cake. For what it is, the blueberry scone version was miles better than the chocolate. The coconut milk frozen yogurt was offputting. It isn't the right temp, just melts into a puddle making a wet cake soup before we were done paying. Kudos on all the fresh fruits and the concept. I just wish you could have delivered on the donut.

Pam said...

Thanks for sharing your experience! Have you passed along your comments to Dr. Bob's Donuts & DoYos?